Thinking of having some time off from the cold winter in the Northern Hemisphere? Coming to the land down under during summer is a great idea, specially if you’ve got 10 days or so to explore Melbourne and its surroundings. There’s a lot to see, old and new architecture, a fusion of ethnic cultures and a dynamic urban lifestyle in contrast with the exotic Australian nature surrounding the city.
There are endless things to do all day round, either spending your time outdoors or finding a great restaurant. Everything is within reach at maximum an hour drive. For more tips about Melbourne check our link to Melbourne Tips.
Some cool things to do and fun places to go to this summer:
- Spend a summery Christmas at St Kilda Beach. So many nice fish and chips shops and cool bars. St Kilda is a party place too!
- During the month of Christmas, Bourke Street Mall is livelier than ever. Buskers, shoppers and the annual Christmas decorations in Myers Shop
- Every Wednesday night during summer Queen Victoria Night Market is open until late with international street food, live gigs and street art.
- You will get to make lots of new friends, interesting people from everywhere in the world.
- Outdoors festivals: Moomba (the Melbourne Multicultural Festival), Vida (Melbourne Latin Festival), Midsumma Festival (Outdoors Theatre Festival), Melbourne Food and Wine Festival, Virgin Australia Melbourne Fashion Festival
- If you are into sports get yourself tickets to Australian Open (the real peak of tennis cups) and Melbourne Grand Prix (the Formula 1 race)